Friday, April 24, 2020

Wrapping up week 4

I know I say this almost every week, but I can't believe we're here. I can't believe the schools are still closed and that we have made it through 4 weeks of online learning. It has certainly been a journey! Here's a few things to note from this week:


  • I have put a survey on Google Classroom for the students to fill out about their experiences so far. If we were in our regular classroom, I would be asking students for suggestions for how we can create our learning space together. I know this is a very different kind of classroom, but I still value having a classroom community and I would like if all students could fill out the survey as it will help guide me in creating content and learning experiences for the students. I have asked the students to get help from a trusted adult to fill out the last section in order to help them get their ideas down. This survey will expire on April 30 @ midnight. I really value your feedback, so I hope to hear from everyone.
  • Today we had our Show and Tell where we introduced our furry friends or shared some art that we were proud of. I made sure to disturb Mr. Crowley from his regular routine of sleeping all day and he was not impressed. However, I told him that if he wants to keep living in this household he needs to contribute somehow and he could consider this a rent payment. 
  • The staff at Capitol Hill School put together a short video to tell the students how much we miss them and to talk about things we are grateful for during this crazy time. I will post the video below so you can take a look as well. Let us know what you think!
Although this is never how I imagined I would be teaching in 2020, I am immensely grateful for the time I get to spend with the students and learning how to navigate this territory together. I miss their laughter and their stories. I miss learning together and from each other. I miss our community. But I also refuse to give up. I am working hard behind the scenes to see what I can do to make this a better experience for everyone.

Enjoy the weekend. Stay safe, stay well, and keep reading!

CHS staff grateful video

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you and good luck

What an incredible year it has been. Despite all the craziness, I am so thankful and inspired by the time I have had with my students and th...